It may be the winter holiday season but many of us Drizzle developers haven't taken much of a break. I have been working hard to keep our bug count down and will be working on some really cool new features this month. Brian Aker has also announced things that he has been working on in this mailing list post.
So, what can you expect from the Drizzle project in year 7DB? Here is a sneak preview of a few things off the top of my head (I really hope I haven't missed anyone here):
- Completion of replication support (thanks to David Shrewsbury, Joe Daly and everyone else involved there)
- Many bugs killed (thanks as always to Patrick Crews for making our jobs that much harder by finding the bugs :) We have also have a bug killing week later this month.
- Support for a few more data types (and probably improved support for current types)
- Catalogs support
- Improvements to system variables and options (thanks to Monty Taylor and Vijay Samuel)
- InnoDB 1.1.4 (in fact, it has already been merged in, thanks to Stewart Smith)
- Some really rocking documentation taking shape (thanks to our new documentation writer Marisa Plumb)
- Some O'Reilly MySQL Conference and Expo talks (I will be there, details in another blog post soon)
- Drizzle 7 GA release
And much of this will be done very early on this year. Development is happening at a very rapid pace and have made some great achievements so far. As always we love to for you to try the source or our binaries and love to hear feedback. We have had some fantastic feedback so far which has led to very rapid fixes and improvements in various areas.